I was looking for something I could eat for breakfast when I get to college, that was fairly healthy and easy to eat. I've started making these recently and take one every morning to eat at college as I leave the house at 7 and don't have time to eat breakfast at home.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
375g wholemeal self-raising flour
75g demerara sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
75g of butter (melted)
* This is what was stated in the recipe I used but I use less than this as the buttermilk comes in a 284ml carton and so I use this amount.
1. Preheat the oven to 210°C (415°F/Gas 6-7). Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
2. Add the flour and sugar to a mixing bowl.
3. Stir well, making a well in the center.
4. Melt the butter in a bowl. This can be done by putting it on the microwave for 1 min.
5. Add the buttermilk and mix together.
6. Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl.
7. Add the buttermilk, butter and eggs into the well in the mixing bowl.
8. Mix until all the ingredient are combined and it resembles a dough consistency. Don't worry of it looks lumpy.
9. Spoon the mixture into the muffin holes.
10. Bake in the oven for about 20 mins, or until starting to brown on top.
11. When cool enough to touch, lift the muffins out and put them on a cooling rack.
Ready to eat! You could also freeze these to keep for longer, and take them out when you need them. And although these look quite boring they do have a hint of sweetness to them so taste good!